Wednesday 21 March 2012

Charlton 3 - 0 Yeovil

I am away on holiday this weekend, and I have a mountain of work to get through before I go, so I'm going to be brief - I really am this time.

I've been all too quick to criticise the club, the board, the manager and the players in recent seasons during our woeful decline. I, like many others, find it easier to analyse failure than success. I genuinely don't want the club to fail, but I believe it makes this blog a more interesting read when I'm looking to point our mistakes than revel in successes.

Despite not going to the trouble to check, I suspect that I have many more posts following a defeat (especially when common belief is that we shouldn't have lost) than following a victory.

We played well last night, the early goal pretty much assured that the nervousness was kept at bay. The goals flying in at Notts County were a constant reminder that we need to keep on winning, for the meantime at least, but we played like a team at the top of the table.

The second goal was a great movement, and I predicted the ball across to Yann and his head back across the box. I think the addition of Dany N'Guessan added the height upfront that we have needed in the last few games where we have been playing against big sides that have put their biggest defender on Yann and neutralised out attack from a long ball.

Anyway the goal was well taken by BWP (as we've come to expect) and the third was just icing on the cake.

I would point out that the early goal completely changed the game. had we conceded first it might have been a long night. Having said that, has we scored first against Colchester or Notts County then those games could well have yielded points. Thus it is perhaps less of a negative and a positive that we can put those two defeats behind us and move on to another run that will cermet our position at the top of the table.

A draw away and a win at home suggest that our recent wobble is over. Even if we lose at Huddersfield I think we can be assured that we are back on track to win the title. Interestingly I checked the bookies odds yesterday and we were 1-8 on for the title and 1-100 on for promotion. This morning we are 1-12 on for the title - there seems to be no odds available for promotion (which I assume to mean they are not taking any bets on us going up now).

I actually think we'll get something at Huddersfield, and if we follow that up with a win at home to Orient (a game that I am going to miss) I believe we will be looking at the last six games and speculating on the day we will be promoted, and the day we will be crowned champions.

For now we are on a run of wins (1) and we are on an unbeaten run (2).

Up the Addicks!

No comments: