Wednesday 2 December 2009

Brighton 0 - 2 Charlton

As has been said elsewhere it was a terrible view. I didn't know who scored our second goal until I went online on my mobile 'phone. In fact I wasn't actually sure we'd even scored until I saw some of our players running away celebrating.

I know Brighton have had some problems, and due to our own 'exile' issues I have a lot of sympathy with them, but it is, frankly, shameful that they charged for the view that I got of the game. Also, while I'm complaining, there were literally hundreds of tickets left when I bought my two, but we were in the second row (the higher the better the view) and we were either side of an isle. If I'd paid half the price for tickets at a cinema I would have walked out. I don't know who's fault it is that the isle issue wasn't mentioned, or that the worst view seats were sold first but irrespective, it has made me significantly less motivated to go to away games.

The game itself I can hardly comment on as I'm confident that those listening on CAFC TV/Player had much more idea what was going on than I did. The atmosphere was also a little dampened, I expect due to the distance we were from the action.

It was a nice day out though. As I hadn't seen my Dad for about a month the long(ish) drive was a good time to catch up, and we also went to a Fish restaurant on the front - for a steak. Well we are British after all.

So my thoughts on the game are limited, but it was a good win. I know people (including myself) have been talking about our relative positions in the league and the fact that we really should have won, but you still have to beat the team in front of you. I didn't think we looked in any trouble at all in the first half. Brighton did attack more in the opening twenty minutes of the second half, but I really couldn't see the other goal well enough to tell you if we were lucky or safe, but either way we kept our first clean sheet since 10th October. Interestingly, if you include the two cup games that makes it our first clean sheet in nine.

I have always liked clean sheets. I know high scoring games are more exciting, but I like shut outs. I actually prefer a 1-0 rather than a 3-1, save for the obvious goal difference benefit.

Sadly both Norwich and Leeds also kept clean sheets, and Norwich scored more than us. I am worried about them, I think they could pose a real threat to us. However, we are four points above them, and I'd much sooner be four points in front than four points behind, and we seem to have found a little bit of form again, which bodes well for the run we have coming up before the end of the year.

Back to back wins, but had we not had Sodje sent off at Yeovil we could well be sitting on a run of four wins, something that many were suggesting would confirm our genuine promotion aspirations a month or so ago.

Over all a good night - and it didn't rain or drop below freezing. I'd have taken 2-0 before we left, but I don't think I'll be going to the Withdean Stadium again in a hurry.

Up the Addicks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree entirely about the Norwich threat KHA, let's hope those Canaries have a blip & fall off their perch!!