Thursday 9 April 2009

Next... Birmingham at home

I had a very busy weekend last weekend and as a result failed to find the time to write a match report of the Southampton game.

In truth Mrs KHA went away for the weekend with KHA Junior, so I drank way too much and went to bed way too late just like every immature 38 year old teenager. When asked why I chose to stay up drinking, watching rubbish on the TV and playing on the PlayStation until 6:30 on Friday night I had no sensible answer, but needless to say I did it all again on the Saturday night.

Thus this week I have found it a little difficult to get motivated.

The Southampton game did the one thing that I really didn't want. It got me looking at the league table and spouting that rubbish that only a mad football fan would ever come out with. "Norwich are only 11 points away, and we have a game in hand, and they need to come to The Valley. So we are only (technically) 5 points away. That's just two wins!"

I know, you are all shaking your heads right now. Thing is, you're not sure if you are shaking your head because I said it, or because you also thought it.

If this recession continues for much longer I might change my occupation and open a factory making straws. Then at times like this I can go into the warehouse and clutch thousands at a time.

So we are on a run of wins (1) and are undefeated in two. Just because Birmingham's away record of W7 D8 L5 is better than our home record of W5 D5 L9 has nothing to do with it. It's not exactly a six pointer - I gave up on automatic promotion a few weeks ago, but it is a massive game.

You see, if we beat Birmingham and Norwich lose at Swansea, we only need to find another three points (as well as winning our game in hand, and beating the Canaries in May). We will also have a massive three games to pick up those three points. If we can't manage one win in three we've no right to stay in this division.

Ok, as this point I guess you are wondering if I've been out for lunch today? I haven't, but let's face it, it's much more fun planning our escape than our demise isn't it?

A solid performance from the defenders tomorrow and I can see no reason as to why we don't keep a clean sheet (Birmingham have only scored two goals more than us away from home this season) and then we only need to 'steal' a goal and we will suddenly have won back to back games, we will be unbeaten in three and even more of you will start to believe the unbelievable.

Up the Addicks!

2 comments:

newyorkaddick said...

KHA, I hate to break it to you, but I think you've fallen into the same trap that I did...you're not thinking about what Southampton and Forest might do. After all, we might finish 23rd and Norwich bottom!

I reckon Norwich will go down with us and Southampton, but Forest will survive (interestingly the latter two play each other on the final day too!). I've a feeling we'll be down but beat Norwich (because we'll be relaxed), thus condemning them.

Anonymous said...

As they say it's the hope that kills you in the end - me I'm just looking forward to M Bent, Bouazza and Traore being on the losing side on Saturday - I might just boo the blind linesman from the Fulham game as well.