Wednesday 14 January 2009

Norwich 0 - 1 Charlton

Well I didn't see that coming.

Having said that Norwich were very, very poor at The Valley in the first game, and I read today they have sacked Glen Roeder.

Still, a win is a win, and you can only beat what is in front of you.

I am not all that worried about the FA Cup this season, but it has provided two games already this season for us to experiment with players and line ups that may make a difference in the run in. I think I would be inclined to use the 4th round game at Sheff Utd on the same basis.

Which brings us to the team that started (and finished) at Norwich. There is no doubt that we have to be aware of the possibility of relegation this season, and what that will mean to the current squad. With that in mind it made sense to give some of the younger players a chance to experience first team action. The circumstances that we are in are so dire and the pressure from that provides something that cannot be tasted in the reserves.

The debate about loan players will probably go on for ever, but there is little doubt that despite the benefit of short term loans you cannot build a long term future with them. The balance between short term results and long term development is a tricky one to get right, and we don't want to be relegated while our youth team mature, yet we don't want to be relegated with the youth team in the reserves.

As I was not there I cannot comment on how well the various players did, but I'm sure that the confidence that will be generated by winning this game will improve all of the players performances, and for Scott Wagstaff, Josh Wright, Jonjo Shelvey and particularly Rashid Yussuff it will be an invaluable experience.

Clearly the league is the most important thing to focus on this season, but after so much doom and gloom, I think we are all entitled to enjoy this win. I am.

Up the Addicks!

No comments: